Thursday, October 29, 2009

PROJECT :: Halloween Costume :: Part 3

Oh, jeez! What did I get myself into? As the construction of my costume continues, the size, weight and volume has grown and the hours creep on. I can't help but get that stifling/panicky feeling in these large scale, down-to-the-wire projects where I sometimes think, "I bit off more than I can chew."

The painting of the fabric, although successful in its effect to create opacity, was no less an extremely tedious chore. I detested every moment of it. However, I'm happy with the look and feel of it. I framed the windows with a black Sharpie Magnum. The look after framing with the marker reminded me a lot of Björk's Bachelorette music video directed by Michel Gondry, for some reason. Ok, maybe I used that sharpie too long and had too little sleep.

No less, I was excited to have the painting and markering over with and begin sewing. I am not a very good sewer, but am much happier doing it than painting, I realized. Perhaps it was all due to the fact that I got to sit in a chair, versus hunch over and kneel on the floor. Also, I was excited to see the form come together and even turn on a battery operated fluorescent light to see it glow!

There are portions of the fabric that let light through still that will need some touch-up paint. No less, I was happy with the glow that the portable, battery-operated fluorescent lights emitted.

I ran into some problems, unfortunately, in the engineering of the support straps that will run across the PVC frame over my shoulders to hold up the costume. The solution lies in some 3D statics, I think. I wasn't ever very good at structural engineering calculations. Alas, there are still yet some details that need to be hashed out before I can attach King Kong. The clock is ticking!