Monday, October 5, 2009

PROJECT :: Light Screen :: Part 2

After some trials and tribulation with my first attempts at my light screen project, I had much headway over the past weekend.


Using a saw to cut reveals out of the tubes created the clean lines I was looking for in my aesthetic. These clean lines would allow for better light distribution as well.

All the slits were approximately 1 1/2" in length and placed at 2" intervals along the pole. This is how the screen looked after all the slits had been cut. I appreciated the subtle look of the slits and felt as though it corresponded well with  the material. After the poles had been arranged in their proper order, the next step was to run the string lights through all of the tubes.


After the string lights were strung through each of the tubes, I then had to use the connection method I had previously described in order to connect all the tubes to form a malleable screen.

Unfortunately, all I had available was light gauge fishing wire which proved to not be sturdy enough for transport. However, I was able to tie all of the tubes together, stand up the screen wall and plug it in!


The final look of the project was pleasing but not without reservations. I enjoyed how the light from the slits played onto the other tubes, as seen below. I also appreciated the randomness in the patterning of light that the string light distribution provided. I do believe the tubes could have used less light reveals, perhaps the slits could have been cut at 4" spacing, for instance. I also feel that the concept of alternating the angle of the slits in respect to the tube could have been an interesting.


The photos of the illuminated screen wall were only taken from my iPhone camera and are of poor contrast and quality. I will post some photos shortly of the screen wall with my SLR that will hopefully show more of the wall's character as well as write a final conclusion to this project.