Friday, October 9, 2009

Nordwesthaus Boating Pavilion by Baumschlager Eberle

I'm definitely not the first to be blogging about this little Austrian "ice block" located on the Port Rohner harbor.

However, I can't help but admit that I am charmed by the lighting of the little joint. The facility from an architectural use standpoint might perhaps miss a few marks - serving as event venue for parties and workshops might prove cumbersome with its large concrete walls and relatively small size. No less, I found the marriage of the concrete with color-changing LED uplighting to be a harmonious one.

I am more and more on the fence lately with the rampant use of color-changing LED effects in architectural lighting that is currently popular. It seems a building can't be lit without it these days. Although I do appreciate the warmth that the design team Baumschlager Eberle of Lochau were able to bring to the space.
 
The design team had 125 custom LED spotlights developed by Baumschlager Eberle and the famed Austrian light group, Zumtobel. Placed at both the base and at all bottom sills of the voids, these specialty spotlights feature an asymmetrical light distribution as well as a randomized arrangement of LEDS. This asymmetrical light distribution was neccesary in order to cast light uniformly into the concrete voids as well as into the room and onto the walls.
 
I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for more examples of color changing LEDs and concrete. Seeing as photogenic as the two are together, I have a feeling it won't be the last time we see it.