Wednesday, January 27, 2010

PROJECT :: Paper Lampshades :: Part 2

A lot of progress and little blogging has been done in regards to the paper lampshades project I started some time ago. Most of the design and development in regards to this project has been digital, with minor model building. In my previous post, I showed some earlier ideas and models with the original concept.
 
I have since tweaked the patterning of the lampshade, attempting for something simpler in concept and design, while maintaining the original concept for an organic shape. I created this pattern above using AutoCAD. I built a portion of the lampshade using light-gauge paper and found it was too flimsy to hold itself up in a large format. Thanks to Ana Ramos and Art Center, however, I was able to have this pattern laser cut onto chipboard.
 
I'm pleased with the patterning of the panels. This portion of the project wouldn't have been possible without the laser cutting technology. Here are some pictures below of the initial  development of the lampshade.

The lampshade is large. Perhaps larger than I'd like. The image below has only but a few of the panels attached. I have yet to insert the light source. I'll most likely use several sources being that the cavity within the lampshade is fairly large. More experimenting to follow.