Tuesday, January 5, 2010

PROJECT :: Installation Wall :: Part 2

There have been some developments, if only at least mentally, towards this idea I have for an installation wall. As mentioned in a previous post on the subject, I had considered installing it somewhere around town in a guerrilla fashion. At this point, let that be the premise.

 
I created the above mock-up animation of the installation using Sketch Up. The patterning and spacing of the wall is paying homage to the Fibonacci Series and Golden Ratio. I'm still experimenting with the patterning of the undulations and how it will be incorporated into the site location I choose. The animation above is drawn based on the original idea of installing it on a blank, white billboard I saw in my neighborhood that has ample sunshine during the day and is also illuminated at night by lights meant to light the advertisement.

 
The next animation above shows the patterning of shadows that the wall would have if placed on a south facing wall. I am also still experimenting on the idea of having the shadows create more complex patterns that mimic the golden ratio to a greater extent.

 
The motif is perhaps a statement. By installing this somewhere in LA promotes the fostering of nature and beauty as represented by the Golden Ratio, in a city which I feel lacks much of both. The method of installation, like that of a graffiti artist, is an attempt at expression when other more conventional methods of creative expression are stifled, like weeds growing through cracks.


Above are some images of the Golden Ratio and the Fibonacci Series as they occur in nature.